My Great Aunty Sarah

9.20.2010

Last week, my Great Aunty Sarah was admitted to the hospital. She was having difficulty breathing, and there was speculation that she might have pneumonia. Like most people, my first instinct was to brush the seriousness of it off. Being in her late eighties, she has had many frequents to the hospital, and my first reaction was to stay calm. Surely she'll be out in a matter of days. She just has a bad cold and needs a few breathing treatments.

Now, more than a week later, I'm not sure if there is any good news in sight. My Aunty Sarah is feeling weaker and weaker, and she has little to no appetite at all. Yesterday she didn't even pick up the phone to speak with anyone because she said she was just too tired.

As I'm writing this, my eyes are tearing, and my hands feel shaky. It's been over fifteen years since I lost my grandparents, and only three years since I lost my dad. As selfish as this may sound, I wanted my Aunty Sarah to be around for us. I had dreams of taking Little Lewie over to her apartment to do jig-saw puzzles together and play board games like Chutes and Ladders and Sorry. (At the present moment, we haven't been able to visit much because Little Lewie doesn't know how to stay still. I didn't want him breaking any knickknacks or getting into any mischief. Now I wonder if I just should have gone regardless of his possible tantrums, etc.)

I know it's still too early to give up hope, and so I'm praying for her to feel better as each day passes. I still have so many questions to ask, Hungarian recipes to try, and family traditions to learn. She is a living window to my (our) past heritage, and she's always been like a second grandmother to me.

Please forgive me for this digression away from my typical "mommy moment" posts. Today I honor my Aunty Sarah--her spirit, her spunk, her sassiness, and her amazing kindness and generosity. May this sassy spirit that I know and love so well be able to rise to the surface once more and crush this terrible bout of sickness, tiredness, and weakness.

Aunty Sarah and my Lil' Lewie
  
Please get well Aunty Sarah...we love you oh so much!!!!

10 comments:

  1. Hugs and prayers for you and Aunty Sarah, hold strong. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts and prayers are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww I am so terribly sorry to hear about your Aunt's health. I am going to say a prayer for her right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so difficult to think of losing a loved one. Don't beat yourself up with woulda, shoulda, coulda's. Like any of us, you did what you thought was best at the time. I'm praying for your strength and acceptance of whatever your Aunt's situation may bring about. I'll say a prayer for Aunty Sarah, too. Peace, E

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry your Aunty Sarah's feeling sick. Prayers for her, and for peace of mind for you. I hope she turns the corner and feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about your rough time and your Aunt Sarah. Sending good thoughts and prayers your way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about your aunt. Know that you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness Annette! I will say prayers for your Aunty Sarah! I am so sorry that she is not felling well. I hope she will get better soon! The picture is beautiful! My thoughts are with you and your Aunty Sarah.

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear about your Aunt Annette. Praying for her and your family. What a beautiful picture of her and your baby boy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hugs to you and your Auntie! I'm so sorry you're going through this, it's so scary! I hope she gets over this bout of sickness. My grandpa had quite a few hospital visits when I was younger and it was always so scary, and it's especially hard when you can't do anything to fix it!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Please feel free to share.