Independence Day

7.09.2015

We had a nice Independence Day weekend with friends and family.  On Friday, we frolicked on the beach and watched fireworks.  On Saturday, we had a typical summer barbeque at my in-laws, and on Sunday, Lewie saw his kindergarten friends again at a birthday party.  (It's been almost three weeks since his graduation, and boy was he happy to see everyone again.)

Lewie and Cousin Sarah






Our little family waiting for the fireworks at Jennings Beach.



This summer weekend was filled with all the simple pleasures in life--simple pleasures that I sometimes take for granted because we live in this great country.  My son appreciates Independence Day because it means friends, family, fireworks, swimming, cup cakes, and ice-cream.  Me too!  However, the 4th is one of my favorite holidays because it means so much more. 

On Independence Day and everyday, I want to remind my son of all the blessings we have because we live in the United States of America, and we are protected by our men and women in uniform.  Sure, we have political leaders at the local, state, and national level that are corrupt and in politics for selfish reasons, but this doesn't change the fact that we still uphold the ideals presented in The Declaration of Independence:

"We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with inherent and unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, & the Pursuit of Happiness."

In this great country, opportunity knocks wherever we look. We are all granted the right to receive an education (regardless of sex, culture, economic status, or religious beliefs).  We are granted the right to pursue our own vocation in life.  We can choose where we live and who we marry.  We can practice our own religious beliefs and support our own causes.  Most importantly, we can determine what "happiness" means for us, and we can pursue it!  We can listen to our hearts, follow our dreams, and utilize our full potential!

Yes, we are lucky to live here--to live in a land where the only thing that ever holds us back from reaching our potential is our own negative feelings of fear, anger, resentment, or self-doubt.  The pursuit of happiness is a beautiful thing--one day I'll have my son define it for himself, and then, because we live in this great country, I will step back and watch him soar!

5 comments:

  1. WELL PUT, exactly why I love living in this country and am so proud of the progress we've made together to uphold those original ideals in a world that keeps evolving intellectually. I'm glad you had a great time celebrating :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you said! XOXO I'm so glad you had a wonderful 4th of July weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you all had a great time! It isn't my favorite holiday, but I suspect that might be because of how people act in the South on the 4th. It just seems to bring out the worst in some. Especially this year, with the confederate flag thing, people were drunk in lawn chairs on the side of the highway leering at cars and waving their flags. I might enjoy it more up north.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much fun Annette! The pictures are great! I, too, want my daughter to know how blessed we are to live in such a beautiful and wonderful country. This post was

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some computer issues... Anyway, I loved this post!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Please feel free to share.