Overnight at the USS Intrepid

9.25.2017

Last year, our Cub Scout Pack slept overnight at the Mystic Aquarium, and this year, our Pack stayed aboard the USS Intrepid Aircraft Carrier.  The ship, now docked on the Hudson River in NYC, is the focus of the Intrepid Sea, Air, and Space Museum.


Before the USS Intrepid retired, the ship had a colorful history.  It was first launched in 1943 during World War II and survived five kamikaze attacks and one torpedo strike.  The ship later served during the Cold War and the Vietnam War, and then served as a NASA recovery vessel in the 1960s.  Movies in the museum explained that at one time, there were over 3,000 men living aboard the ship.  For months on end, they slept on cots piled up in rows.  Today, new ships use nuclear fusion to move, but this one used diesel; my husband said you could still smell it, even after it's been decommissioned since 1973 (over 40 years ago)!  I can't imagine how they survived being squished together and forced to constantly breathe in the diesel fumes and exhaust.

I didn't get an opportunity to go on this excursion with Lewie, but I soon learned that most moms didn't go.  For example, out of our small Bear den, only three father-son teams went.  Big Lew and Little Lewie (us); Big Tim and Little Timmy; and Big Chris and Little Chris.  (As you can tell, all the boys are named after their fathers.)  About 20 family teams from our Pack went in all.

Both Lew and Little Lewie thought sleeping on the "USS Intrepid" was an "interesting" experience.  Parts they enjoyed were the 4D movies or simulation experiences.  They went on "Stories of Intrepid," the "G-Force Encounter," and the "Transporter FX" (a drone flying experience).  They also had a chance to see many different types of planes, a submarine known as Growler, and the space shuttle Enterprise.  They had the museum all to themselves and toured everything from 6 until 11 p.m. at night.  Then, they unrolled their sleeping bags and slept on cots until 6 in the morning.  (They were forced to vacate at 8 a.m.)



The Space Shuttle, Enterprise


Little Lewie and Little Chris pretend flying an aircraft.
Sleeping on cots, much like the sailors had to do years ago...
I'm disappointed that I didn't go on this trip, but at the same time, I did get some much needed R&R.  While the boys were running around going on drone simulators and pretending to fly supersonic jet planes, I was walking with my friend Tracy and shopping leisurely at my favorite organic market.  The next day, I even had a chance to do a full day of shopping at Olde Mistick Village with my mom.  It was a nice weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun experience that I'm sure my boys would enjoy! I love that all three pairs of fathers and sons had the same names between them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knew it was even possible to stay the night on a ship like that. How fun!!! I can see how you would have wanted to be there.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Please feel free to share.