A Nintendo Inkling Halloween

11.05.2017

One of Lewie's favorite video games this year is Nintendo's Splatoon, home of the Inklings.  In it's most simplistic form (which I'm all about simple), the object of the game is to shoot your ink color to cover your environment and the opposing players' environment.  So, if your color is blue, then you try to splat as many things with the color blue by using "ink weapons" such as "Inkguns," "Splat Rollers," "Inkbrushes," and "Inkbuckets."  (It reminds me of paintball.)

Courtesy of Fantendo.
In early September, Lewie decided he wanted to be this male "Inkling."  It's not a common request, so I quickly went to the internet to search for ideas.  Thankfully, some talented crafters were selling Splatoon hats and shirts on Etsy.  If I were one of these talented folk, I'd probably try my own version, but since I know my limits, I quickly purchased a male Inkling hat for Lewie and a female Inkling one for me.  Then I bought a shirt for Lewie and an iron-on decal for me to make my own shirt.
Lewie getting ready to leave for a kids Halloween Party!

Posing outside before going onto the school bus.  (His "ink weapon" was left at home.)


Vising Grammy at her place of work (our annual tradition).  She's a devil, and we're both Inklings.

The kiddos that came to my mom's place of work.  Two of them, Evan and Julian, are Lewie's friends.

Our first house for trick-or-treating.  The entire neighborhood decorates for the kids.
For a Halloween party, Lewie wore a black mask for the Inkling's eyes, but on actual Halloween Day, my husband and I drew a mask around his eyes with makeup.  (My hands are not steady at all, so I enlisted Daddy's help.)  Since I was an Inkling too, I ditched the complicated makeup idea and went straight for using a mask.  After all, I had work in the morning, which didn't leave me much time to get ready before trick-or-treating.  In fact, my day was to work until 1:30, arrive to Lewie's school Halloween Parade for 2 p.m., go home to get ready in 30 minutes, pick up Lewie from school at 3:15 p.m., bring Lewie to my mom's place of work for 3:45 p.m, make dinner for us at home at 5:30 p.m.. and then head out to go trick-or-treating for 6 p.m.  (I am a HUGE advocate for making Halloween land on a weekend...)

To sum Halloween up in one word, it was FAST.  I'll be honest; I enjoyed more of the spooky events we did leading up to Halloween, such as going to the Great Jack O'Lantern Blaze at Van Cortlandt Manor, visiting the Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, and going to a haunted house and theatrical graveyard tour at The Glebe House.  Maybe next year, we'll add a haunted hayride into the mix.

The Haunted House at the Glebe House


Be prepared to get scared!  It was scary... One room had a bunch of fake and "live" dolls coming to grab us!

3 comments:

  1. What video game system do you have? My kids are wanting one! Great pictures of Lewie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the costume! And how happy he looks in it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I'm not familiar with this game. You two look great though!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Please feel free to share.