The Magic of Christmas (2017)

12.26.2017

Where do I start?  This month has gone by quick in the wake of our quick Thanksgiving vacation and then getting prepared for the holiday.  I can bore everyone with the mundane tasks of work, school, budget planning, and holiday shopping, but instead here are the highlights of our December and Christmas weekend!

In the second week of December, we decided to get our Christmas tree from a local horse farm instead of a Christmas tree stand.  The farm offered free horse and carriage rides, and it had the cutest little dog that joined us on the ride.  It was pretty scenic since it had just snowed the day before...








During the third week of December, we went to our church's children's mass.  (During the mass, all the CCD students put their handmade decorations on the tree.)  As we prepared to leave, Lewie's CCD teacher asked us if Lewie could play the role of Joseph during our church's 5 p.m. Christmas mass.  She said that she noticed he was a good reader, and he likes to volunteer.  Considering the fact that just two years prior, Lewie was placed in Tier I reading intervention at school, I was awestruck.  (All my days of working with Lewie on his reading paid off!!)

Little Lewie spent the week practicing his lines, and in the end, it was Mommy that was shaking from nervousness, not Lewie!  He read his lines perfectly and was complimented by so many of our friends and neighbors for his clear pronunciation and enthusiasm.  (My son can be a little actor!)  They placed a microphone in front of him every time he spoke, so it was fun to hear his young, high-pitched voice booming from the speakers.  I felt proud and honored at the same time.








On Christmas morning, we woke up to this view of our yard...





It was beautiful!!  Lewie woke up at his usual 6 a.m. and woke me up, so he could begin opening Santa presents.  "Santa came, Mommy, and Daddy's awake," he announced.

I sat upright, "Daddy's awake?" I asked in wonder.

"Yes, it's a Christmas miracle," he replied.  (I love Little Lewie's humor.)

We came downstairs, and my husband was fast asleep in the recliner.  So much for him being awake!  Lewie still opened up his gifts, and I took a few pictures, which didn't come out so great in the dark.

Still, Christmas had that special magic this year...partly because we were able to celebrate it with friends and family (who still have their health--thank goodness), partly because Lewie still believes in Santa Claus, partly because Lewie had the honor of playing Joseph in the church, partly because it snowed on Christmas Eve, and partly because I woke up this morning, after celebrating another Christmas, feeling so incredibly grateful for being alive.  Even without all the presents and fanfare, the beauty is in God's grace--the love, friendship, warmth, kindness, and the rising sun.  Sending blessings to all my friends (of all different faiths) this holiday season.

After planning for two years, we finally got our Christmas Jammy photo this year!  I'm so grateful! 

2 comments:

  1. Glad you all had a merry Christmas! That little sleigh dog is super cute. A neighbor kid ruined Santa for my twins this year. It's not the same once they know, even though they pretended.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Please feel free to share.