The Sacrament of Penance (Reconciliation)

1.23.2018

Being raised by a mostly Hungarian family, I grew up Catholic.  Just like my great grandmother and great grandmother before her and great grandmother before her (you get the picture), I was baptized into the Catholic Church, and my grandmother (that lived right next door to us in the same house) saw to it that I went to church every week and learned my prayers.

Growing up, I always felt like I needed to go to church because if I didn't, I would be breaking one of the Commandments.  Unfortunately, my grandmother grew up with a fire and brimstone mindset, and she passed that along to me.  For that reason, I went to church out of fear that if I died, I might go to hell.  (I pictured myself living in a fiery cave for eternity, surrounded by multiple devils with pitchforks--you can have a wild imagination as a kid.)

Today I go to church with a different mindset.  Over the years, I started praying to God on my own--in the church, outside during walks, in my home, etc.  I have learned to have faith, and not because I thought I would be punished if I didn't, but because I believe life is extraordinary and I have witnessed the power of love, prayer, and forgiveness.  I also believe in the Golden Rule, namely, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you," which is supported by one of the greatest Commandments, "Love your neighbor as you love yourself."  Thankfully, we live during a time of Pope Francis--a Pope that focuses on love, kindness, compassion, charity, and equity.  He may not be perfect as he still has to hold onto certain traditions (such as women cannot become priests), but he preaches the message of love, acceptance, and peace.  In a world full of turmoil, his message is needed now more than ever.

Following tradition, Lewie was baptized into the same Catholic Church where I was raised.  In elementary school, he started attending CCD, and now, last week, he made his second sacrament, Reconciliation or Penance.  He learned his prayers (the same as my grandmother taught me), but this time, I focused on the ideals of love, kindness, and forgiveness.  He learned the Ten Commandments through a softer, child's version (not the old-school way that I did), and I taught him that above else, to be thankful to God and to be kind to others.


This is the same church where I made my Sacraments of Reconciliation, Holy Communion, Confirmation, & Marriage.
As Lewie grows up, he may choose to stay Catholic or follow a different religion.  For now, while he is young, I want him to understand our faith through a softer lens and develop a relationship with God.  Reconciliation last week was special because Lewie met with the same priest that baptized him, Father Kvedas.  Father Kvedas also married Lew and me and was there for my sacrament of Confirmation (in high school).  (He's also the same priest that performed funerals for my dad and my father-in-law.)  To say that he's been a part of our family for many, many years is an understatement.

I know my grandmother would be proud to see that I'm passing along our family's faith and tradition.  I suppose I'm proud, too, to be "passing the torch," so to speak.  In the end, I hope Lewie learns to be a kinder, gentler, and more compassionate person because of it.

1 comment:

  1. It is nice that you are at the same church you grew up in and that the priest has been in so many parts of your life!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Please feel free to share.