A Back to School Retreat for Hubby and Me

10.02.2018

Truth be told, I've been wanting to go to the Omega Institute for Holistic Studies (in Rhinebeck, NY) for the past five years.  I first learned about the place when thumbing through their catalog at a doctor's office.  With women's leadership conferences; yoga and meditation workshops; spiritual workshops; financial workshops; and more, I just knew I had to swipe the catalog off the coffee table and bring it home.

Fast forward five years later, and now I've made sure that I'm on Omega's mailing list.  They send catalogs straight to me, and each year, I circle a handful of workshops I would like to attend--if only I had 1) the time, and 2) the money.

This August, I looked through the catalog and circled a workshop called "The Power of the Soul."  Just like each year before, I put the catalog back on my bookshelf  in a space known as the "maybe one day area."  However, the very next week, I surprised myself.  I grabbed the catalog from the shelf, took out my credit card, and scheduled the retreat, as if my mind was on autopilot.  It would be a birthday present for my husband and me (his birthday is in Sept., and mine is in Oct.) and a little reward for all the work we do doing the school year, i.e. our full-time administration jobs, teaching classes, serving as Cub Scout Den and Pack Leaders, etc.




The walk to the Meditation Room.  (There was a handicapped accessible one, too, but I like this one!)

The Meditation Area - It was beautiful!

A Koi Fish Pond

I swear purchasing the trip must have been divine intervention because shortly after, a dear friend of ours, age 45, left this world way too soon.  The news felt like a punch in the gut to both of us.  (I wrote about him last year at this time because he bought us front row tickets to Hamilton.)

The next few weeks felt empty, and yet, during this very dark time, knowing the retreat was coming helped us keep our sanity.  "Just one more week," I would tell a grief-stricken husband who couldn't stop sobbing each day.  Thinking about Michael's death, brought back memories of his father's death, and then lead to worry over his own.  (My husband has some serious health concerns.)

We went to the retreat initially hoping it would help us bond, relax, and feel more spiritually connected.  We left the retreat having achieved all of this and more.  Guided imagery exercises helped us find our "soul" and the spiritual energy that connects all living things.  Through prayer and meditation, we found healing, purpose, and forgiveness.  We also found joy, laughter, and gratitude.

We arrived to Omega with heavy hearts but left with light ones.  My husband had joked when I first signed us up for the retreat that I would be forcing him to eat "twigs, nuts, and berries" for the weekend.  He now admits the food (organic/farm-to-table) was delicious and that the retreat was exactly what we needed--to believe, to reconnect, and to remember our higher calling.  All I can say is, thank goodness for divine intervention and synchronicity.  I will never doubt prayer again.




From the deck of the cafeteria.



Our cabin.  They have "tent" cabins, too, as well as platforms for tents.  It was cold the weekend of Sept. 22-23.

Like my shorts and winter coat look?  This was my "fashionable look"
for most of the weekend as I didn't want to give up summer.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I'm glad the retreat was healing.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Please feel free to share.