Halloween 2019 - Elves, Leprechauns, and Fairies?

11.10.2019

We've come a long way (11 years of Halloweens to be exact).  I won't bore you with a rundown of every Halloween, but let's say, so far, we've had three phases: 1) the cartoon character phase, 2) the train phase, and 3) the video game character phase.

I'll admit I enjoyed the first two phases.  For the most part, everyone knew who we were.  However, when we started dressing up like video game characters (Plants v. Zombies, Splatoon, Undertale, etc.) no-one knew who were were--I mean NOBODY.  It wasn't fun.  There was no, "Look how cute you are," or "Wow, what great costumes!"

This year I put my foot down.  "We have to be something different," I told Lewie.  He was already gearing up for a second year of Undertale.  We spent weeks thinking about it, and then one day, it clicked.  "Let's be other holidays for Halloween," Lewie said.  "Like let's dress up and say, 'Merry Christmas.'"

"Right.  I can be a Christmas Elf," I said.  "You should be a different holiday...like St. Patrick's Day.  Yeah, that's it.  You'd make a great Leprechaun, Lewie!"

Lewie liked the idea.  Daddy wanted to be an old lady in a mumu, but that didn't quite go with our theme.  We explored some ideas on the internet, and suddenly, we found it:  "Look at this, Lewie.  Daddy can be the tooth fairy!"  The costume was perfect--the tooth fairy could be an old lady, and he could swap a tutu for the mumu.

A picture of Little Lewie, me, Big Lewie, and my mom  (My mom was a scarecrow.)
Following our tradition, we went to my mom's place of work first, so the ladies in the office could see all of our costumes.  Since they are a festive bunch, they were dressed in their own costumes and had candy for all of the employees' children and grandchildren.




I can't believe how big Lewie looks next to my mom!!


After visiting my mom, we went home, grabbed some pizza, and hurried out to trick-or-treat before the rain.  It was 70 degrees and windy, but after 25 minutes of going house-to-house, the sky opened up, and it poured.  We finished another 20 minutes with umbrellas.  At one point, the alarm from the firehouse went off.  We looked at each other as if to say, there isn't a tornado in the area, right?  Thankfully, it was just a rainy and gusty day, but the weather did put a damper on things.  There were a lot less families outside trick-or-treating as there had been in previous years...


Lewie with his best friend.  I have to admit that in this picture, Lewie looks a little scary.  
Lewie instructed me not to say "Happy Halloween," so instead, "Merry Christmas, Happy St. Patrick's Day, and Happy National Tooth Fairy Day."  (If you think I'm making up the last day, then feel free to visit this post, which says it's celebrated twice per year--once on Aug. 22nd and another on Feb. 28th!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments. Please feel free to share.