Happy Birthday to my 12 Year-Old Tween!

8.12.2020

Well, it's official;  my son is a tween!  He doesn't quite have the sassiness of the teen years, but he has entered a new phase where he's a bit more vocal about what he likes and what he doesn't.  Each year, Lewie's personality becomes more pronounced, and it's interesting to compare our similarities and differences.  For example, Lewie is a creature of habit and a home body; he's just as content to stay home as he is to go on a short outing, and in most cases, he prefers to stay home!  For me, on the other hand, I like travel, adventure, and trying new things--a fun day for me is usually finding somewhere new to explore (instead of staying home).

The one thing I LOVE about this kid, however, is that he is as sweet, kind, and generous as can be; he has a big heart and is both sentimental and grateful.  He loves reminiscing about old times, and he repeatedly mentions the people and things in his life that he's most thankful for...  A psychic once told my mother-in-law that Lew and I would have a boy, and he would be an "old soul."  Well, in my opinion, the psychic couldn't have been more accurate.  This kid sometimes displays more wisdom than me, helping me see when my Type A personality and perfectionist attitude gets in the way of true enjoyment and happiness.  He reminds me that sometimes it's okay to "just be" and "enjoy the peace found in the moment" (instead of trying to conquer it)!

This year, our birthday celebration was quiet.  We had Lewie's best friend visit him the day before, and then Aunty Kiki and Karen visited him on his special day.  We promised that other friends and family would see him in the next few weeks, too, but we would keep gatherings small, so we could allow for appropriate social distancing.

To make the day special, we had ice cream for lunch at Rich's Farm, and Grammy made him his favorite chocolate cake.  We also spent most of the day swimming in our pool, and of course, we had Bruce come in for a short swim, too.  With Little Lewie, being Little Lewie, he thanked us multiple times for an awesome party, and said today was the best birthday ever.  How can I not be grateful for such an awesome kid!!






To end this special birthday post, I am posting my annual interview with Lewie.  Some answers have changed from last year, but many are the same, proving, once again, that Little Lewie is definitely a creature of habit.

Here is this year's interview:

Q:  What is your favorite color?
A:  "Orange." (This is the same as last year.)

Q:  What is your favorite book?
A:  "It's hard to say; I like all of Katherine Applegate's books."  (So far, we read, Home of the Brave, Wishtree, The One and Only Ivan, and Crenshaw.)

Q:  What is your favorite cartoon?
A:  "The Amazing World of Gumball." (This is the same as last year.)

Q:  What is your favorite movie?
A:  "My favorite movie that I watched this year was A Dog's Purpose."

Q:  What is your favorite board game?
A:  "Chinese Checkers."  (He's been recently playing this A LOT with Grammy.)

Q:  What is your favorite computer game?
A:  "TABS (Totally Accurate Battle Simulator)."  (Of course, he asked for the Oculus Rift S for his birthday, and he's really been enjoying playing Rec Room in VR.)

Q:  What is your favorite place or favorite vacation?
A:  "I can't choose. I loved all of our vacations."

Q:  What is your favorite thing to do at school?
A:  "P.E. (Gym)." (This is the same as last year.)

Q:  Who is your favorite teacher?
A:  "To be honest with you...still Miss Drayton, my second grade teacher."

Q:  What is your favorite sport?
A:  "Dodge Ball."

Q:  What is your favorite food?
A:  "French Toast." (This is the same as last year.)

Q:  What is your favorite ice-cream flavor?
A:  "Sweet Cream." (This is the same as last year.)

Q:  What is your favorite thing to do with Mommy?
A:  "Walking and jumping on the trampoline with you."

Q: What do you want to be when you grow up?
A:  "Either a Youtuber or a game developer."

Q:  What is your favorite thing to do with Daddy?
A:  "Go swimming with him."

Q:  What is your favorite moment as an eleven year-old?
A:  I forgot to ask this question, so I'll find out tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. I like the questions you used. We are getting tired of our same birthday interview! Happy birthday Lewie!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Please feel free to share.