We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors...

4.22.2011

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

-Native American Proverb


-Google Images

I learned to appreciate Mother Nature from my dad.  We would spend time together hiking in the woods or fishing on his bass boat.  He always wanted to be a Forest Ranger when he grew up, but sadly, never had the opportunity to go to college and follow his dreams. 

Still, today, his spirit resides in me.  I love hiking, fishing, camping, and admiring God's beautiful creation.  Even more, I'm a huge recycling advocate, landtrust advocate, and EPA advocate.  I wear a heavy heart when I hear about the carcinogenic toxins that ruined our well water from a landfill nearby, the heap of plastic bottles and other trash that makes up the size of Texas in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, the BP Oil Spill, or now the nuclear radiation crisis in Japan.

It's been a belief that we can use and abuse our earth because the earth is too big to destroy--that it can repair itself and come back.  Whenever large spending cuts are made, funding for the Environmental Protection Agency, our state and national parks, or the protection of wildlife always seems to be the first on the chopping block.  I say ENOUGH.   Why can't we TRY to move forward toward a safe, sustainable future together?  Why can't we drive electric cars, warm our homes with the sun's rays, and grow food that's organic and non-genetically modified?  I hope my little boy and others of his generation will be asking the same questions, or even better, not have to ask these questions because a sustainable future will already be in place.  After all, our children and our children's children need to borrow the earth too.  It's not ours to keep alone...

4 comments:

  1. great post...it made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    You're invited to an Online E-Party with MaryKay!
    Visit my blog for more directions.

    http://frommysomewhatseriousmind.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying to do better with this with recycling. We recycle a lot at our place, but sometimes, if it's inconvenient, I will throw something out (instead of rinsing it out). I also use a lot of ziplocs. So, I am trying to be better with that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post Annette. I love the Native American Proverb. We all need a reminder of how precious our natural resources are. I think in all of our "wisdom" we often forget that God put us on this earth to care for it and all of its creatures. Happy Earth Day and Happy Easter. -E

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Please feel free to share.