An Apple Picking We Will Go...

9.30.2011

Since the start of September, I've been craving caramel apples, apple pie, and my favorite-- apple crisp.  I pinky swore we were going to find time to go apple picking, and last week, we finally had a chance to do it...not just by ourselves but with some of my friends' families too.

It was a warm, sticky day (definitely more July like than Autumn like), which made us feel pretty exhausted all around.  Still, my little guy had a chance to really pick the apples off the trees (and take a few bites of one too!)

This week the apples have been sitting on my counter, a daily reminder that I now need to do something with them.  If all goes well today, the goal is to make apple crisp.  I'll peel and slice the apples, and I'll let little guy arrange the apples in the pan and put on the crumb topping.  I can't promise that some of the crumb topping won't get eaten along the way...I guess I'll have to see how it all works out...

Here's some pictures from our apple picking excursion:


"Give me a high five!"

"I'm ready Mommy!"

"An apple picking, we will go..."

"There's one!"

"Thanks for the lift Daddy!"

"Don't drop me!"

Yay for friends!

"Time to rest!"

"This is the life."
All in all, it ended up being a short trip for us, but I still enjoyed being outside in the orchards.  If I get to making apple crisp today, then my September will be complete!

3 comments:

  1. Apple crisp. That's a winner right there! I wish we had orchards here..Or that it wasn't obscenely hot. I will just live vicariously through your fall-ish activities. And the pictures of Little Lewie are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, these are great shots. The shots of big and little Lewie are just precious. I love fall and everything apple too. Seriously, it's supposed to be 80 degrees this Sunday. WTH?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like so much fun! I don't know of anyplace near us that you can go apple picking, but I've been picking up boxes of them from a farm over in Yakima (a few hours away from us, other side of the mountains). I'm picking up my first box of apples tonight and making applesauce and some apple pie filling...yesterday I made a huge batch of pear butter! I love fresh fruit :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Please feel free to share.