Easter Fun and Surprises

4.09.2012

Each new holiday brings special moments and surprises with my little boy.  Now that he's three, he's starting to understand concepts like the Easter Bunny, coloring eggs, and looking for an Easter basket.  This year we tried to form new traditions that will hopefully continue year after year.  For example, last weekend we had friends over for an Easter Egg Hunt.  It was fun watching four screaming kids scrambling for eggs (no pun intended) and chocolate.  They also squealed with delight at finding two "golden eggs," which meant they won a prize.  Lewie enjoyed looking for eggs too, but was pleasantly surprised to learn that his friends were willing to share with him.  (His friends are a few years older.)

This weekend, we took a short trip to visit the Easter Bunny, made some "bunny cookies," colored eggs, and searched for six eggs and a basket that the Easter Bunny left for us.  During this weekend, I learned a few new things:

1.  My little boy is way smarter than I thought.  Upon visiting the Easter Bunny, he looked at my husband and me and said, "Who's in the costume?"  Gulp.  Then when I read him a story about the Easter Bunny, he quizzed me again saying, "Does the Easter Bunny walk?  Does he talk?  Does he wear shirts?"  Double gulp.  It's as if he was telling me that he didn't believe for one second that there's a tall bunny that wears clothes and walks to the house to bring treats.  Needless to say, I wasn't prepared to give explanations.  I suppose the next thing he'll be asking me is how the Easter Bunny gets into the house.  What do I say?  I leave him a key, he magically appears, or he slides down the chimney like Santa?  Thankfully, our questions stopped at the Easter Bunny wearing shirts.  I explained to him that since the Easter Bunny is magical, he can do a lot of things like humans.  Triple gulp.

2.  My little boy is lazy.  Getting him to search for his eggs and his Easter Basket was like getting him to brush his teeth.  "Don't you want to find your Easter Basket?"  I begged.  "How about if Mommy helps you look for it?"  He looked at me and responded,  "You help me find it, Mommy?  Thank you."  He then proceeded to sit on the couch with the hope that Mommy would just magically bring it to him--it was way too much effort to try and find it.  Luckily, later in the afternoon while he was playing with his train table, he found it on his own.  Even then, the enthusiasm wasn't exactly what I had hoped it would be.  Oh well.

"I'm not so sure about sitting on your lap..."  (Like the Christmas tree in the background--lol.)

Lewie liked this display.

Another Easter Bunny display...

"Hey Mommy.  Now I'm the Easter Bunny."

My little boy and me.  (Like my bag?  It has Lewie's artwork on it.)

Choosing stickers for his colored eggs.

Enjoying some morning treats from his eggs.

Little Lewie took a picture of his egg with a dollar bill.  He was very excited to get money!  ("Now I can go to Aunty Re Re's house!" he said.  That's my little boy...saving money for travel and family!)

Exploring his Easter basket.

His favorite Easter basket item.  Now he can shave in the tub!

Yup, like I said, holidays bring happy memories and surprises.  This year, the surprise was on me.  There was more fun to be had with the Easter Egg Hunt and making cookies than with the Easter Bunny visit.  It'll be interesting to see what happens next year...


3 comments:

  1. Happy Easter - you guys did lots of fun stuff! I made the mistake of putting a little too much candy into a toddler who doesn't normally get his hands on candy's basket... next year, back to fruit snacks and animal crackers! Lewie cracks me up - so funny that a basket full of goodies was't worth the hunt :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics although I have to admit I laughed outloud when I saw that Christmas tree!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to laugh when you talked about Lewie's reaction to the Easter Bunny. I was never a believer in the Easter Bunny, either. It always seemed suspect. ;) However, I was always very into hunting for eggs. My mom and dad hid them EVERYWHERE and the hunt was my favorite part of the day. Maybe next year he'll be more interested. Lilly was more interested in climbing and walking around than in picking up the eggs. Mommy and Daddy did most of the hunting this year. And because I'm a candy nazi, Lilly had her usual snacks instead of sweets. Anywho, loved the pictures. Happy Easter! He is risen!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Please feel free to share.