A Day to Celebrate Motherhood

5.24.2016

This month has been a whirlwind... Work has required me to attend numerous events--retirement parties, award banquets, commencement, and the like...  Then my son, of course, has been keeping me busy with rollerskating lessons, swim lessons, Cub Scout outings, and birthday parties.

Three weeks ago, May became further eventful when Lewie accidentally spilled a glass of water all over my laptop.  My first reaction was to think the computer would be fine after it had a chance to dry.  Not so.  Although I still have access to the internet, half the keys on my keyboard don't work.   I was forced to buy a new one, which should be arriving, finally, in a few more days.  It has been a long three weeks without one--and a long three weeks without blogging!

                                               *                    *                    *

Mother's Day came early this year, and so there was some last minute running around to buy gifts for my mom and mother-in-law.  The weekend was cold and rainy.  Still, the sun came out in time for us to have dinner at our favorite restaurant--The Hopkins Inn.  The past two years we were able to enjoy their beautiful patio overlooking Lake Waramaug.  This year, the patio was closed (due to the rain), but we still enjoyed eating in their very charming dining room, which dates back to the 1800s.

Although the restaurant is somewhat formal, our dinner conversation was the usual--lots of laughing, potty humor, and the typical jokes that entertain a seven year-old and forty-five year-old husband equally.  Heck, my mom and I enjoyed ourselves just as much.  "You can dress us up, but you can't take us out," seems to be the slogan that describes us best.

After dinner, we visited the Hopkins Vineyard next door, bought a few treats, and then returned home in time to start preparing for the work week once again.








Flowers from my "boys."

Going to the Hopkins Inn has now become a tradition for us for the past four years; it's an opportunity to treat my mom, family, and myself to a fancy dinner, and quite honestly, I wouldn't want to go anywhere else.  Still for me, Mother's Day is just a day because I feel loved and appreciated by my son all year long.  At age seven, he still gives me daily hugs, kisses, and "I love yous."  He asks me to play with him even if there's a group of friends nearby; he requests me to tuck him in at night; and he's overjoyed when I tell him I'm getting out from work early so we can spend the day together.  Yes, motherhood can be exhausting (and even a little frustrating when a computer needs to be replaced), but my days are now filled with meaning and purpose, which makes it oh so worth it!

3 comments:

  1. Bummer on the computer. Hope the new one is just as good!
    Glad you got to enjoy a nice meal out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun mother's day tradition! Looks like a fun place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely tradition! And even though I'm exhausted at night, I secretly hope that I always gets to tuck my boys in at night!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Please feel free to share.