1. Apple Picking - Actually, I can check this one off of our list! We went to Karabin Farms in Southington, CT and had a blast as we took a hayride to the orchards and picked our very favorite Gala apples. Then, we enjoyed picking up a few fun items in their gift shop. My favorite? Pumpkin, Brown Sugar & Fig Handmade Goats Milk Soap with Pumpkin Seed Oil. I will be using this all October!
2. Pumpkin Picking - For almost eight years straight, we have gone to March Farm for Pumpkin Picking. Besides pumpkin picking, I can always count on them to deliver hayrides, corn mazes, apple cider donuts, friendly goats, and lots of fun in their children's playground--complete with little houses for children, a gravel track for pedaling cars and tricycles, a sand pit, and a swing set/slide.
|This was Lewie's first year at March Farm.|
3. A Scenic Railroad Trip - Lewie loves trains. In fact, since his passion first blossomed as a toddler, we've been taking him to all sorts of train museums and train rides. My goal is to make a trip to Winnipesauke Scenic Railroad in Laconia, New Hampshire. Since these tracks glide next to the lake, I'm sure there will be some breathtaking views. However, since this is almost a four hour trip for us, I have to be realistic. If we can't fit this in...there's always the Essex Steam Train or the Railroad Museum of New England right here in Connecticut.
|Lewie - Age 3 with his train table|
|Lewie - Age 6 at the Strasburg Rail Road|
4. A Classic Fall Festival - If we go to Laconia, New Hampshire this year, then I absolutely want to visit The New Hampshire Pumpkin Festival on October 22. How can you go wrong with 20,000+ pumpkins? It sounds like pumpkin heaven. Of course, the Great Jack O'Lantern Blaze in historic Hudson Valley, NY sounds amazing too. They have activities going on throughout the month of Oct. and even into Nov., so this may be more realistic for us this year...
5. A Pilgrim Thanksgiving Dinner - Another goal is to visit Plymouth Plantation, and show Lewie the "true" life of the pilgrims. Although he personally has not shown any major interest in history yet (other than the history of railroads, of course), both my husband and I LOVE learning about the past. Plymouth Plantation has opportunities to sign up for the "Americas Thanksgiving Dinner" or "Harvest Dinner with the Pilgrims." While you can do this on Thanksgiving Day, you can certainly choose other times in Oct./Nov. I honestly think this would be great fun!
Okay...so here you have it...my fall bucket list... This has already been a busy fall with swim lessons, roller skating lessons, Cub Scouts, CCD classes and the like... We have a wedding on Oct. 16th... Plus, you never know what Mother Nature may bring along the way, but if I could have the perfect fall experience, this would be it.
Happy October! 🎃
Happy October! 🎃