Mother's Day Recap

5.19.2017

Mother's Day was perfect this year; my mom, Lew, Little Lewie, and I went to our favorite restaurant, the Hopkins Inn, and then went to visit Lew's mom (Ninny).  As I grow older, I realize that every Mother's Day that I have with my mom is a blessing.  How could I not be grateful!  In her seventies, my mom still works 20+ hours per week, helps me pick up Lewie from school, and is constantly outside watering our plants and taking care of the yard.  She's nothing short of amazing.


Since there were a few rain showers on Mother's Day, we couldn't bask in the sun on the patio, but we could at least eat in one of our favorite rooms inside the old inn.  We admired the old post and beam construction and, of course, the old plank floors.  The best part, of course, was the company and food. We enjoyed our meals so much that, at times, they became the focal point of our discussion. The funniest part of the afternoon is when Lewie looked at his dessert, a frozen chocolate eclair, in horror. "Why are you making that look?" I asked.  "Is the dessert too big for you?"

"No," he replied, "but why does it have salad on it?"  We inspected the dessert and noticed they garnished it with a mint leaf.  We burst out laughing.  Lewie still didn't appreciate the mint leaf.  (He's one of the few kids I know that doesn't like the taste of mint.)  Still, we made it into a learning lesson--right along with him having to put his napkin on his lap and keep his button-down shirt tucked in at all times.  "Oh Lewie," I sighed, "we're just trying to teach you a little culture.  One day, you'll be sitting at a fancy restaurant like this with a girl friend or on a job interview."  Of course, mentioning these ideas in no way means I'm wishing away his childhood.  On the contrary, on Mother's Day, I wish I could wave a magic wand and keep all of us the same age for a very long time, possibly forever.




On Friday, my son brought home a fill-in-the-blank sheet called "All About Mom."  I was surprised how in just one short year, Lewie's answers changed from cute to sophisticated.  He knows me inside and out, even my age.  I can't fool him into believing I'm twenty-something anymore.

 Let me tell you about my mom.
My mom is 41 years old.
She likes to walk.
The best thing she cooks is chicken nuggets.
Her favorite food is chocolate.


Her favorite thing to do to relax is walk.
We like to walk together.


She is really good at the Atari 2600.
As you can see, my mom is special because she's the best mom in the world and the best thing that's happened to my life
(Those were exactly his words...how lucky am I?)

5 comments:

  1. So glad you had a lovely Mothers Day and Lewie looks so grown up in his fancy shirt! I love his answers for the questionnaire about you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is such a sweet boy! I'm so glad you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that you got to spend much of your special day with family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Mother's Day to my dear friend and her beautiful mom!! Wonderful pictures Annette! Little Chick has been asking about you and Little Lewie. We miss you and hope that you are well! Big hug!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Please feel free to share.