Christmas 2020

12.29.2020

Unlike our December Christmas parties and Disney vacation in 2019, Christmas 2020 was quiet--eerily quiet.  For one, two prominent family members, my mother-in-law and aunt, were missing from the celebrations.  There was no-more Florence to spoil the grandkids with gifts, cookies, and yummy treats.  (I could always count on her for a care package of comfy pajamas, chocolates, and a Yankee Candle.)  There were also no more antics from my beloved Aunty Kiki; no reindeer antlers, no dancing Snoopy, no singling Christmas ball, and no last minute shopping and wrapping presents on Christmas Eve.  It was as if time stopped, and we were stuck in some sort of confused new reality.

A strange quiet rattled the house this year because we didn't have our usual house guests and slumber parties.  Both my Aunt Kiki and my Aunt Irene would travel to our house to stay overnight--sometimes for several days.  Until the wee hours of the morning, I would hear the TV blaring from my mother's side of the house with occasional talking and laughter.  While saying goodnight, I would peak my head through the door to see the same setting as the night before.  My mom would be sitting in her recliner, entranced by whatever show or movie; Aunt Kiki, the multitasker, would be watching TV with piles of papers surrounding her--sometimes mail, sometimes students' schedules (she was a guidance counselor), or sometimes bowling paperwork (she was the President of the Connecticut Women's Bowling Association for three years); Aunty Irene, the socialite, would be texting friends and family or scrolling through Facebook while occasionally glancing at the TV screen in front of her.  The "three sisters" (my mom, Aunt Irene, and Aunt Kiki) were so different from each other (kind of like Rose, Blanch, and Dorothy of the Golden Girls), and yet, they had the strongest bond any sister could ever have--they were lifelong friends and advocates for each other.

This year it was the five of us only--my mom, hubby, Little Lewie, me, and our now nine month-old puppy, Bruce.  Hubby offered to cook us an amazing Christmas dinner, which didn't disappoint, and we spent Christmas morning opening up presents, which now included treats and toys for Bruce.  The "big gift" on Lewie's list this year was the Oculus Quest, but he and Daddy were surprised by others such as a Gskyer Telescope; pool toys--a light up beach ball and pineapple float; books; and chocolates.












We also visited family members through Zoom.  After dropping off gifts to each other's houses, my sister-in-law's family and ours took turns opening up our gifts "on camera."  It was surprisingly fun to watch each other's reactions, and in many ways, it was better than the usual visit where all of us would be opening up each other's gifts at the same time.  We were deliberate in having each child take his or her turn, so we could lengthen the fun.  My sister-in-law created a board game and snack theme for us, so we could have many new games to play in the New Year (with food to accompany those games, of course).  My favorite game, which I can't wait to play, is one about visiting National Parks seen here:


Since we couldn't go to one this year, we might as well learn about them.  My sister-in-law knows me all too well!

The second Zoom session was with my cousins from DE, OR, and CT on my mom's side of the family.  It was fun, but since my family doesn't really get Zoom etiquette, we were all talking over each other.  It was a little hard to grasp what each person was saying.  Then again, that happens in real-life visits, too.

At the end of Christmas day, I crashed hard on the couch with Bruce by my side.  Even without all the physical visiting, I was plain tuckered out, which to me, is the sign of an awesome holiday.  Of course I missed seeing everyone in person and giving out real hugs, but just knowing that real visits and hugs will be a reality again in 2021 is good enough for me.  We have so much to be thankful for, which starts first with health.


3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you managed to enjoy Christmas in any case. I love that card at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Dara. We ordered the Christmas cards special on ETSY. I figured they really did sum up life in 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christmas was different this year and I'm glad you made the most of it. Happy New Year!
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Please feel free to share.