Friday Fun Flick-The Tale of the Spinning Lawn Ornament

8.06.2010

Several weeks ago, I posted a Friday Fun Flick on “Fans are Spooky.” My little boy, at first, was terrified by Grandma's little, oscillating, bedroom fan. It didn’t make sense to him why the fan would move back and forth on its own. Even now, he’s no longer terrified, but I can still tell that he thinks it’s creepy.

Well, the thought of the fan has long been gone until this week when Lewie showed an interest in our sunflower wind spinner that we’ve been storing in the garage. Many times when he’s brought it over to me before, my normal response has been “Oh, Lil’ Lewie, Mommy will put it up some day. Not now, okay?”

Well, a persistent Lil’ Lewie finally encouraged me to stake the spinner lawn ornament by our porch this week. He was thrilled as he kept using his little hand to make it spin. I then left him outside alone with it while I went to wash the dishes (I can see him from my kitchen window) when all of a sudden, I hear Lewie break out into complete sobbing hysterics. What on earth! How could he possibly have hurt himself?
I ran outside to survey the situation. Okay, where’s the boo boo, I thought, as I picked up Lil’ Lewie and tried drying his tears. For some reason, my nurturing wasn’t consoling him. “Why are you so upset, Lil’ Lew?”

It took a few minutes, but I finally figured out the source of his anguish. The wind had picked up, and the spinner lawn ornament was moving by itself. Good grief! As I carried Lil’ Lewie closer to the lawn ornament to show him that it wasn’t scary, he had an all-out meltdown.

In the past few days, I’ve done everything in my power to extinguish this fear. I’ve even been searching for a pinwheel, so I can demonstrate the laws of wind. For the most part, he feels a little more comfortable around it, but this clip still shows his remaining distrust. Unfortunately, the spinning sunflower doesn’t have the same allure as it did sitting still in the garage. Like the oscillating fan, spinner lawn ornaments are “spooky” too.

10 comments:

  1. This is hilarious! You can totally tell he thinks it's creepy. Georgia doesn't mind the fan, but she definitely doesn't like any kind of stuffed animal that sings or plays music. It shakes her world too much to think that the animals can talk too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww. My youngest is fascinated by fans and the oldest has never cared either way. Her thing is mixers and vacuum cleaners. She yells at me to stop when I turn one on lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm following you on Google Friend Connect from Follow Friday. I'd love a follow back! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor guy! I can only imagine what is going through his head when he sees it moves on it's own! I think a pinwheel is a good idea, I saw them in the clearance isle in the toy Dept in target.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comment and the follow! Very cute blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. aww poor little guy. Isn't it interesting to see what our little ones find funny or scary. What little they know can cause such drama hehe. I know one day he'll grow out of the fear for the oscillating fan or anything that spins on its own for that matter. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He's too cute, but that flower looks big enough to be a person...maybe if you used one of the smaller pinwheels he could use in the house for a while. But who knows with kids - some things are just scarey to them. Hello, I'm your newest follower! Thanks for visiting and following my blog too, I was glad to get your comment there. I'm going to like it around here - watching lil Lewie grow. Smiles.

    Haupi

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like Lewie is getting a little more accustomed to the flower since he reached out and touched it. I love him scooting his little car AWAY from the spinner with some sense of urgency-priceless. -EW

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sent you an e-mail after reading your bachelorette party post. Left comments on previous posts as well. My e-mail address is passionfish30@hotmail.com so you recognize the e-mail entitled "restroom trauma" is from me. I hope you have a good laugh! -EW
    http://eastlynandcompany.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi...I love blog hops too!! I have one on Mon. & another kind on Wed.. Hope you can join us!!
    Hi..I’m Barb….I am from TTA. I am your newest follower. I hope you will get a chance to visit my blog @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com & get inspired by something for your family/home. I hope you will follow me as well. I also would love for you to be a new Fan of my Facebook page too & click “LIKE” in the upper right hand corner of my blog & you’ve done it..Thanks so much! I am just starting at Facebook. Nice to meet ya new friend!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Please feel free to share.