Beach Trip 2018

8.27.2018

In early 2018, I daydreamed about taking two summer vacations, but I didn't know if we would 1) have the finances or 2) have the time.  Going to Yosemite was a definite, but as I much as I yearned for another national park vacation, I also yearned for the beach--Rehoboth Beach, DE--a trip we've made twice before.

During the first week of August, I got my wish, and even more, I was able to combine our quick three day jaunt with a visit to see my bestie from college, Mary Ann!  On early Sunday morning, we left at 6 a.m. to head straight for New Jersey.  Thankfully, we dodged any major traffic and arrived 3.8 hours later to their "new" home in Marlton, NJ.  (I haven't visited my best friend in NJ for years, so their "new" home is actually one that they've lived in for several years now.)


A little music time...
After a morning visit, we headed to their local pool club to cool off.  The pool club had three different pools, a splash pad, food, and a DJ.  It was crowded, but we found our own picnic table and had a chance to enjoy each other's company as if we were the only ones there.

Friends for 25 years!

Lewie w/ good friend, Nimai.

The two hubbies

Maya and Lalita, Mary Ann's two daughters, both in cheerleading
After a full but short visit, we headed for another hour to the Cape May Ferry.  There, we would board our car and travel for another hour and a half by sea to Lewes, DE.   To my surprise, Lewie LOVED the ferry; I didn't even know he liked boats!




On the ferry, we saw the most beautiful sunset!
The next few days, we set out to enjoy Rehoboth.  We went to Jungle Jim's (a water park that we LOVE); ate yummy boardwalk food, like ice cream and crepes; did a little boardwalk shopping--enough to buy my husband a new kite; and went parasailing in the bay.  I had hoped we would have a chance to rent bicycles, but the heat was too much for my boys.  Instead, I took early morning walks by myself on the beach and side streets, daydreaming about what it might be like to own a beach house there one day.  The walks were quiet and meditative--truly medicine for my soul.









A chocolate Nutella crepe. 


Viewing turtles down below...



Over 100 ice cream flavors--Lewie tried cake batter and birthday cake;
I tried double fudge brownie and Key Lime Pie.  Yes, we ate there TWICE.
Little Lewie's favorite part of the trip was parasailing.  I knew we had to go when I found out they had a three-person harness.  I love flying in the air, and in fact, I had Lewie go up with me many, many years ago when he was just five!  Of course, he doesn't have any recollection of his first parasailing trip, but he will remember this one!







Our trip ended late Tuesday night, around 6 p.m. to be exact.  We had tickets to board the ferry once again--this time from Lewes, DE to Cape May, NJ.   It was such a peaceful ride with very few passengers.  I lamented the end of our short trip; however, Rehoboth will always feel like a second home to us.  This was our third visit and certainly not the last.





4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great trip. So cool that you went parasailing! I went on that ferry when I was a kid. I seem to remember it made me feel seasick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great trip! Nothing better than time spent with friends! I am jealous of your parasailing!!! I cannot wait to try that some day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! That's awesome the parasail had space for all of you; I've only ever seen two at the most! I'm glad you were able to see your friend and her family too! That pool club sounds awesome.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Please feel free to share.