Our Secret "Back to School" Tradition

9.09.2018

Okay, so if I post this publicly, I'm not sure I'm keeping our "Back to School" tradition a secret anymore, but then again, I have posted about this tradition before.

For the past six years, we go to our favorite local amusement park on the last Friday of the season--the Friday before Labor Day.  When Lewie was three, it wasn't a big deal because he wasn't missing school.  However, now that Lewie is in elementary school and the school year always begins the week before Labor Day, we have to play hooky. 

Yes, we could certainly choose other days to go, but we like going on this last Friday because...

1)  The lines are short or non-existent.  (Since everyone else is at school, there are very few people.)

2)  It's one last "summer" treat to ourselves.

3)  It's our "reward" for going back to school.  I say "our" because the three of us begin school together; Lew and I work for two colleges, and Little Lewie starts fourth grade.  Even though, Lew and I do work on campus during the summer, the workload definitely picks up once all the college students return.


For the longest time, Little Lewie's favorite ride was the train, the "Quassy Express."  However, during these last few years, it's been the Pirate Swing.   This year, I lost count of how many times Lewie went on this ride, but if I had to take a guess, I'd say it was 15 times or more...









Lewie's second favorite ride appeared to be the"The Wooden Warrior" roller coaster.  He asked Daddy to go with him three times!  I went with Lewie once on the Pirate Swing and once on the Tilt-a-Whirl, but my stomach, unfortunately, couldn't handle much more.  In my teens, I could go on all the spinning rides, but these days, I'm lucky if I can do two, and even then, I have to space them out. 

Needless to say, my favorite ride in the park every year is the "Quassy Queen," a covered motorboat that takes us around the lake to see all the beautiful lake houses and mansions.  There are some WEALTHY people that live on this lake--lawyers, CEO's, and hedge fund managers to name a few.

By 5 o'clockish, we decided to head out and stop for ice cream before going home.  It was an awesome day and another awesome memory.  Lewie first started coming to Lake Quassy at age three. I'm glad to know that he hasn't outgrown our special day yet.

1 comment:

I love to read your comments. Please feel free to share.